Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Bring On The Funny Stories!!

Recently, after something VERY funny happened during a VERY Serious gig, I mean I was laughing my ass off during this very serious gig (and I was not alone) , I started talking with my bandmates about memorable gigs and what made them memorable. After about an hour of trading stories, we decided that playing great, having a great musical experience, burning up a solo, etc. etc. really meant NOTHING! What made a gig truly memorable was the funny crap that happened before, during, and after a gig! THAT was the stuff that memorable music was made of!

As I was telling several of my favorite gig/road stories during our next break, someone said "You really should write this stuff down." I really did not give it much thought until the next day when I was out on my daily run in the woods with my black lab Miles. Now understand, Miles does not do a lot of talking on these runs, so my brain has to do something to pass the time. While running I started thinking about all the funny crap that has happened to me over the past thirty plus years of playing, teaching, and composing (yes even composing) and I started smiling on my run (which never happens) as I started to remember more and more road/gig stories.

If nothing else, I want folks to realize that a musical life really is PFUNNY! The stories range from PG to XX and everything else in between. I won't include dates, band names, musician names, or anything that may point a finger to a "real" person because I still perform and record with some of these cats. They are in random order, and not really ranked in order of funniness (is that even a word).

Hopefully this will make you laugh and give my students a glimpse into what it REALLY is like to make a living as a musician!

No comments:

Post a Comment